In Quebec, the government’s Victims of Crime Compensation (IVAC) program allows some victims to receive services or financial compensation. Here are the main steps in the process of making a request.


To qualify

To be compensated, you must meet specific criteria. Make sure you qualify before proceeding.


Fill out the form and provide proof

Important: you must complete all sections of the form that concern you. If any information is missing, your application will not be evaluated by the IVAC.

You must provide proof of your injury. You can hand in a document made by a health facility that records the injuries caused by the crime, such as a medical report or psychological assessment.

Other documents may be requested by the IVAC, such as receipts for expenses to cure your injury or evidence of income. It is recommended that you send them with your request to speed up your treatment.

You can get help from the Center for Victims of Crime (CAVAC), the Sexual Assault and Sexual Assault Center (CALACS), the Integrated Health and Social Services Center (CISSS) ) or the integrated university health and social services center (CIUSSS) in your area to complete your form.


Receive a refusal from the IVAC

 Receive a refusal from the IVAC

Your application may be refused in whole or in part because you do not meet the IVAC criteria, for example:

  • You have not proven that a crime has been committed.
  • Crime is not part of the IVAC list.
  • Your request has not been made within the time limits provided by the Act.
  • You have not made a proof of your injury.
  • You have not applied for the right compensation program for your situation.
  • You have committed gross negligence, that is, you were reckless, careless or negligent in making the crime predictable.


Challenge the decision of the IVAC

court decision

You usually have 30 days to challenge the decision of the IVAC in writing and make your case. The time and manner of proceeding to dispute will be indicated in your rejection letter. You can seek the help of a legal professional to do this.